Between 18 November and 30 December 2020, the Friends of Waterlow Park asked park users for their ideas about the park. The questionnaire was delivered and publicised via our mailing list, website, Twitter, local networks and flyers in the park. This was a first online survey for us and we were gratified by the 328 responses, the enthusiasm for the park, learning the things you like and don’t like and your ideas for the park – 172 in all. Some of these are already in hand, or planned, and we will study others and discuss their feasibility with the park managers. Your answers are analysed here. For data protection and to preserve anonymity we have presented the answers to Qs 6 and 7 separately here. Again our thanks to all who took the trouble to participate and to provide thoughtful responses.
- Most respondents were female, age 65+ (48%) and live locally
- respondents usually walked to the park and most visited alone or with one other person
- trees, fresh air and the ponds and wildlife were the most appreciated features of the park
- there were many comments praising the work of park staff and volunteers
- issues which were of concern included smoke pollution and rubbish from barbecues, disruptive behaviour by some park users, and lack of signage
- of the possible future projects set out in the questionnaire, the most popular was to find a good use for the former aviary, along with increasing biodiversity and restoring the fabric of the park
- The full answers relating to list of other projects or comments from respondents are given in the survey.